Met a Chow/St. Bernard today

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Met a Chow/St. Bernard today

Postby kingalls » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:28 pm

We were out on a short hike today and met a couple walking a dog with some familar looking charactistics. I asked if their dog had any Chow and sure enough - they said it was a mix of a Chow and a St. Bernard :shock: . The boy was big! He had the coloring of a cinnamon and had some Chow features. He's rescue about 5 years old. The couple talked about him being very intelligent but stubborn. "Reggie" would stop and sit - in the middle of the road - where ever! - until they went in the direction he wanted to go. They already had to have his eyes fixed for entropian. They also talked about having to give him a special diet because he was allergic to the wheat fillers...of course, we chimed in about watching for the corn ingredients,too.
It's always fun to come across another Chow or Chow mix and talk to the parents. We are always proud to say we have two Chow Chows :)
Karen, Shiloh, and Mr. N
kingalls

Postby Auddymay » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:53 pm

We also met a Chow mix at Petsmart a few nights back. It was also golden retriever and something else I can't remember. It was red, and bigger than Pip. It was also rather timid, even with Pip. Of course, Lily picked right up on it, and tried to boss it around. I made her sit nice, and Lily eventually just ignored her. This girl went into nursing homes, but her owner works there, so she is 'unofficial'. Also, she was under a year old, so maybe Lily recognized that as well.

I had a good laugh on the way out, Lily was standinding near the door and this itty bitty 5 pounder (poodle mix, I think) came in the door and took one look at Lily and it went ballistic! Lily looked at it like it was poison ivy and backed away!
Auddymay

Postby chowfrnd88 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:32 am

WHOA! I had to do a double take when I read the title. That must've been cool to see.

Love meeting chow mixes around here too, and people approaching saying "I used to have a chow..." :D One guys told us his male was 110 pounds! I can't imagine. :D

Oh, I forgot to say... Miss Lily, I love your reaction to the miniature poodle! :D
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby bama » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:47 am

One of the cutest chow mixes I have ever seen (besides the ones on this forum, of course) is a Pug/Chow!

I don't know how that happened, but you could see the characteristics of both! He was deep red and very short hair. His tongue was black and his head shape was large.
What a cutie he was.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby chris » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:53 pm

He must have been quite the site. I wish you had a picture. That would be a really cool mix, dont you think?

:-)
chris

Postby kingalls » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:15 pm

#-o ...and I had my camera with me! I should have taken a picture!
Karen, Shiloh, and Mr. N
kingalls

Postby Boogie and Linda » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:53 pm

Just think of what people must say to them. Not only do they have a chow but a GIANT chow! :shock:

It sounds like a really cool mix. I wish I could have seen it.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Return to Community Discussions